Orientation Guide for Incoming Grads
Incoming students will have received several emails from the McMaster School of Graduate Studies to welcome them to McMaster University and to provide help with arrival in Hamilton. Some of those links to websites and documents are copied here:
- Graduate Student Welcome Activities
- Register for Graduate Student Welcome events (Aug 28-Sept 8). Choose from one of three welcome breakfasts exclusively for incoming grad students, bike tour, TA workshops, LGBTQ+ welcome, a resource fair, and more! Watch your email for links to ‘new student-only’ events.
- Notes for Successful Applicants
- Provides First Steps: How to activate your McMaster email, funding, enrolment, and more.
- Getting the Supervisory Relationship Off to a Good Start
- This is a supervisory relationship tool – a template to address expectations for Graduate Students and their Supervisors.
- Payment Information Package for Full Time Graduate Students
- This is important Financial Information (how to get paid, how to pay your tuition, deadlines and schedules).
- This document includes screen shots to help you navigate Mosaic. Mosaic is McMaster's PeopleSoft-based administrative information system. It currently handles multiple functions, including student administration, finance, research administration, and human resources.
- of Graduate Studies
- Student records and enrolment, scholarship, Grad Student Life, registrar and all policies governing graduate degrees.
- 2018-2019 Graduate Calendar
- Amazing what you can find in the Graduate Calendar.
- Grad Student Association (GSA)
- Learn about your elected GSA representatives, the Phoenix Bar & Grill, softball and soccer leagues, and grad student clubs, events, and more.
- International Students
- Lots of information, links, and events for international students, provided for the more than 1,300 PhD and Masters students from around the world who are studying at McMaster. Here you can find tips about finding housing, finding your way around Hamilton, budgeting, etc.
Look for emails sent to you in July or August 2018 - there are many more helpful links and tips in that email. Search your mail for "Welcome from McMaster School of Graduate Students <firstname.lastname@example.org>" and for "McMaster SGS News and Events <email@example.com>".
Many of the items conveyed in the Welcome email are included in this PNB Graduate Handbook.